Saturday, September 8, 2012

Bipolar Thoughts

As I have written my blog I have covered a lot, but realized that a lot of people dont really understand bipolar disorder. Talking to people,several have asked me in the past weeks so I figured Id do my best to cover it for those of you uncertain about it.

So many people are bipolar, going into Fairfax was a shock to me because everyone had it, it was the norm. Out in the "real world" it obviously isnt something just go ahead and talk about, but still, there are so many people dealing with it everyday. And its different for everyone.

Bipolar disorder is a condition where people go back and forth between periods of a very good or irritable mood and depression. The "mood swings" between mania and depression can be very quick.


And for those who dont know what mania is, it is a state of abnormally elevated or irritable mood, arousal, and/or energy levels. Mania is the opposite of depression, but to the max.


Anyways, most would think that bipolar is simple happy/sad, I can tell you that you are incorrect. When I was diagnosed bipolar the psychiatrist and I talked things over and we came to the conclusion that my highs are furious/angry and my low is depression, major depression. Im sure you can imagine how important it is to stay on that stable line in the middle.


Most all people who are diagnosed bipolar have dealt with mania or hypomania at one time or another. Hypomania usually lasts about four days and is just a lesser version of mania, still unpleasant though.


If you know people who are bipolar, you can tell that their moods are way off sometimes, well, that isnt easy for them (if it was they would be amazing) so be aware. It is a annoying,angering,lonely,make you feel crazy thing to have to deal with. 


Moral is 1) if you suffer from bipolar disorder of any degree, know that you are so not alone, and you arent crazy either. Probably more normal than people who dont have it, but dont tell them that  :) 2) if you don't have it and have to deal with someone who does, be patient. We don't want these feelings just as much as you don't want the after math.


Bipolar shouldn't be taboo or something you're scared to share about yourself. You are who you are, as odd is it sounds, you have to embrace it. Let it just be a part of you.


*If you are struggling and want to chat feel free to shoot me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment