Tuesday, February 28, 2012

All or Nothing

Second semester of college I didnt want to be there anymore, I just felt like I was going through the motions. But then I got my class schedule and found that I had two classes that I actually was excited about. The first was studio art and the other was a photography/marketing class.

I loved both the classes all semester, I used them as my outlet, I would literally go straight from class and start my homework and spend hours working on it, my rommate can atest to that. I made it through the semester with good grades in both classes, but that wasnt enough, the final was quickly approaching.

Im going to focus on the photography final. The final was a five or six picture story, a controversial topic. I knew what I wanted, obviously I know a controversal topic, I was living one, but I didnt know if that was the right thing to do.

In the end, I decided to go in, all or nothing, kind of like this blog. I wasnt going to sugar coat it, I was going to be honest about self harm. I decided to use To Write Love on Her Arms as an inspiration. This project was probably the most fun that I had all year, I had my whole dorm floor of girls helping me out with my photos and being my models, such a strong topic brought us all together and caused a ton of laughter.

I felt safe turning in my photos because of two people, Joe and Katrina Stark. They were the professors and they made me, and im sure everyone else in the class, so comfortable. They were encouraging and it helped tha they liked my photos each week already. Without the Starks I dont think that I would have ever considered taking those photos, being brave enough to step out there, put it all on the line.

Im quite thankful for those two. They taught me a lot and it wasnt just about taking photos. I wouldnt have made it through the semester with without their class, without them.


Check out those pictures at this link: Photo Final

No comments:

Post a Comment