Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Religious Thoughts

Religion is a touchy subject for some of you, so prepare yourselves. I find that many people in my life ask about my relationship with God through all that I have gone through, Im not really sure how to answer that question. I dont think that religion is necessarily a black and white thing.

Years ago, when I wasn't so crazy in the head, I was a christian, a followes of God, I was growing in my relationship with Jesus Christ, I even decided to get baptised, but things slowly changed. I would say the chnage was do to my experiences as well as being away to college.

It isn't abnormal for young adults who head off to college to stop attending church, that isnt what happened to me. I tried out some baptist churches in Great Falls, by the end of the year I was attending catholic mass every week, reading my bible regularly, attending a student led bible study and a religious club on campus, not to mention those rough nights when I ended up in the chapel crying, praying, even cutting , you win some you lose some. I was trying so hard to hold on to God, to stay faithful, to not be a broken mess.

Truth was, I was only going through the motions, God was slipping away, or I guess it was me that was. Where was he? Hes supposed to love me so much and always be there, but I felt like he let me down. Where was he when I was sitting at the bottom of the shower, blood all around me, while I locked myself in the bathroom finding my only relief in a blade, sobbing becuase I just wanted to stop,where was he when I had the biggerst knife in the kitchen, ready to finish it all, where was he when I was trying to break my hand repeatedly, where was he? Why did he let all of that happen to ME, how did I end up in that place? I felt like there was no hope left, God did nothing for me, he was GONE.

Am I strong enough to handle all of this? No, and frankly, I think that that is bull shit. I wasnt ready for all of this, I am weak, not strong enough.

1 Corinthians 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.


 
I guess that that leads to where I am now. Do I still feel as though God is gone, yeah, most of the time, but there are little ways I see that God is working. First, he gave me strength to write this blog, I prayed over that for a long while before I started it, also, God had to have been there at least for that tiny moment I decided to go along to the hospital, he was leading me along as well as the people involved in getting me the help I needed.

Now, I still go to church, small group, the whole sha-bang. I am still not necessarily happy with God, its hard to get rid of so much anger and to just be hopeful in someone who left you to suffer, but I am trying. I see him more in the little things. Plus, I have got to have God on my side if I am going to save the world.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sara, you have an unbelievable strength first of all. i have been meaning to comment on your blog, but I keep finding excuses as to why I shouldn't. So, today is the day. I have been struggling with what you have been ( with the cutting) for about a year and have been dealing with bad thoughts and possible suicide for as long as I can remember... I have been a cutter for a year and have recently detoxed off of pain pills for the second time in less than a year. I have been talking to Linda for about a year as well and I just don't know how to..... well, portray to her and my other counselor how bad the situation is.......... I guess I'm just asking how you had such strength. STAY STRONG we are in this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. Ya know, the strength is something I don't realize I have. Things got easier when I told someone was was going on. as for Linda, she's surprisingly great about all of this, she is way beyond willing to help you out. It's tough but the honsty is what makes you feel stronger. If you need to talk anymore facebook me :)

      Delete
  2. So many answers to your questions just don't dome easily. In our culture of instant gratification, I think we expect God to be instant (and to respond to our demands!). Instead, I believe He is working in your pain, supporting you, keeping your head above water. It just might take longer than you want. I wish it could be different, but He is the God and gets to be in control, not me...sigh...
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand where you are in your faith. I too question God...where was he when my best friend's daughter was being abused by her pastors son? Where was He when Dani prayed over her children every night? Why did he allow this all to happen? I still don't get it. It hasn't shaken my faith..it just makes me question everything a lot more. I do think of God in a different way. I don't think that He protects us from bad stuff. God is a very thin thread that I hold onto for my existence, my hope, through all my fears...He is there..but I do have trust issues...:)
    Aunty Deb

    ReplyDelete