Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 17

Do you know anyone else who injures themselves?

Everyone knows someone who harms, just because people don't tell everyone that they do doesn't mean that they don't  In my life, I really hadn't personally known (talked to about self harm) anyone until I was in college, except that one adult who had survived it and "mentored" me toward recovery kind of.I had met a friend in college who lived right near me and one day we just started talking. I found out she cut, she found out I cut, and we spent the remainder of the year being each others shoulder to lean on when we were struggling. It was nice having a person who actually understood the battle I was fighting and was going through the same. There was also a couple people I suspected had, but didn't really have any courage to talk about. In the last month of college I found out another friend had been in recovery, a week before school ended I found out that an RA dad harmed here and there in their life, obviously I knew all the people in the psych ward, and a friend that I went to school with, but didn't actually find out til I was back home and it was a year later when we started talking.

Knowing people who harm is a blessing and a curse. You can either help each others recovery or hinder it and it is a fine line. So if you do know anyone who harms be careful as to what you say to each other. Sometimes it is hard not to encourage how wonderful cutting is.

No comments:

Post a Comment